Art by: Sean Metcalf
Download or stream the November 2012 DGB Mix below.
DGB November Mix
01. Camera – Ausland
02. The Brian Jonestown Massacre – Viholliseni Maalla
03. Goat – Let It Bleed
04. Prince Rupert’s Drops – Plague Ride
05. Jefferson Airplane – Wild Tyme
06. The Zodiac – Aries – The Fire-Fighter
07. The West Coat Pop Art Experimental Band – Eighteen Is Over The Hill
08. Tjutjuna – Desert Song
09. The UFO Club – July
10. The Smoking Trees – See
11. Mmoss – Hedge Creeper
12. The Karovas Milkshake – Factory
13. Joe Byrd & The Field Hippies – Invisible Man
14. Abstract Truth – It’s Alright With Me
15. Ultimate Spinach – Visions Of Your Reality
16. Woodsman – All Tangled Up
17. Jeffertitti’s Nile – Upside
The debut full length from The UFO Club, a collaboration between The Black Angels’ Christian Bland and Nights Beats’ Lee Blackwell, is one of our favorite releases to come out of 2012. Re-imagining 50s pop through the prism of 60s psych, the pair pay homage to the legendary UFO Club of Pink Floyd-era 1960s London. Watch the video for the song “Wolfman” off their new LP below.
You can stream / listen to and buy the album in the format of your choice on the Austin Psych Fest website.
The UFO Club is a group led by The Black Angels’ Christian Bland and Night Beats’ Lee Blackwell that takes a note from each of the aforementioned groups and twists it through a hazy lens of 50s pop and 60s psychedelia. Earlier this year, they released their debut 10″ on Austin Psych Fest’s in house label in June and it sold out before it could even hit shelves. They’ve now followed up that 10″ with a proper self-titled full length that pays homage to the British psych scene of the 1960s, much of which passed through the legendary London haunt from which the group takes its name. Reverb swamped feedback and hazy Barrett-style rants soaked in mushroom tea mesh with tinny garage anthems on this 11 track masterpiece. Stream album track “July” below, realize how good it is, then buy the album here.